This best-selling textbook returns with material on the most fundamental and fascinating issues in sociology today. The authors focus on the big picture, capturing students’ imaginations, while still providing the basic intricacies of theory and research needed in a good textbook.
• Long praised for offering a more integrated understanding of sociology and encouraging more critical thinking than other texts.
• Thoroughly introduces the basic approaches of sociology: functionalist, conflict, and symbolic-interactionist. Subsequent chapters use these theories to explain and integrate diverse topics, issues, and debates.
• Includes dimensions of race, class, and gender in every chapter.
• Fascinating special feature boxes engage students in the real world: "Personal Journeys into Sociology" presents the disciplines of leading scholars, "Student Life" explores sociology up close and personal in the lives of college students, and "Putting Sociology to Work" offers insights into the application of sociology into a wide array of careers.
• Makes teaching easier with such pedagogical aids as real-life vignettes, chapter summaries and key terms, critical thinking and debate exercises, and a full glossary.
• Offers helpful ancillary materials, including a test bank, instructor’s manual, and PowerPoint slides, available for fall 2011.
• Provides three chapters from the original text free on Paradigm’s website to keep the book compact and affordable for students while offering a wide range of content.
New to the Sixth Edition:
- A new chapter, "Politics, Power, and Society," includes coverage of the election of the nation's first African American President.
- Expanded focus on economic sociology and financial systems in the wake of the ongoing global financial crisis, including a text box by Fred Block on risk taking.
- Additional discussion of sexual orientation and the nature-nurture debate on sexual preferences.
- Updated information on immigration and the corresponding policy debates.
- New takes on deviance and crime, using such fresh examples as the recent financial scandals, the shifting status of marijuana socially and legally, the BP oil spill, and and more.
- By popular request, more case studies of the labor, women's and environmental movements.
- New photos and update tables and figures appear throughout the text.
- For the first time, three fully searchable chapters, adapted and updated from the original text, will appear on the book's webpage at no cost, offering a full range of content while keeping the text affordable and compact.